Be ready for Canada
Arriving in a new country can be as daunting as it is exciting. To prevent any unnecessary anxiety, Pacific Blue Cross offers a Visitors to Canada Travel plan to ensure that your stay here is worry-free.
Our Visitors to Canada Travel plan provides protection against the high cost of emergency medical care for foreign visitors entering Canada for pleasure or business reasons, for foreign students, for immigrants or foreign workers entering Canada to lawfully seek permanent residence.
When this coverage is purchased prior to arrival in Canada, coverage becomes effective on the day you arrive. The plan is also available for purchase within 30 days of arrival, and coverage commences 72 hours following the date of application.
For returning Canadians awaiting eligibility for the Government health insurance plan to begin.
Pacific Blue Cross has you covered.
What coverage is available?
When Visitors to Canada coverage is purchased prior to arrival in Canada, coverage becomes effective on the day you arrive. The plan is also available for purchase within 30 days of arrival, and coverage commences 72 hours following the date of application.
Our Visitors to Canada travel plan covers costs related to emergency medical care resulting form an accident or sudden illness. The plan pays for expenses necessary for the stabilization of the medical condition that are over and above any benefits granted by the government programs of the person's country of residence.
Hospitalization, Medical and Paramedical Expenses
- Hospitalization: Hospitalization expenses for ward accommodation. Semiprivate or private accommodation are not covered.
- Physician fees: The medical and surgical charges for the services of a physician, surgeon or anesthetist, up to the amount payable under the government fee schedule in the area where services are rendered.
- Medical appliances: The purchase or rental cost of crutches, canes or splints, and the rental cost of wheelchairs, orthopedic corsets and other medical appliances when prescribed by the attending physician.
- The fees of a registered nurse (other than a relative) for private care while hospitalized and when medically necessary and prescribed by the attending physician.
- Diagnostic services: The charges for laboratory tests and x-rays when prescribed by the attending physician.
- Drugs (when required as part of emergency treatment): The cost of drugs requiring a physician's prescription, except when they are required for the continued stabilization of a chronic medical condition.
- Accidental Dental Care: The fees of dental surgeons for treatment necessitated by an external injury (not as a result of deliberate introduction of food or an object into the mouth), only when natural and healthy teeth, which have had no previous treatment, are damaged, or to reduce a fracture or dislocation of the jaw.
The following services must be approved and planned by Medi-Assist.
- Ambulance service: We cover the cost of local ambulance or air ambulance service to the nearest accredited medical facility, including inter-Hospital transfer when the attending physician and Medi-Assist determine that existing facilities are inadequate to treat or stabilize the patient's condition.
- Repatriation to the residence: Covers the cost of repatriation to your country of residence by means of appropriate transportation in order to receive immediate medical attention, following the authorization of the attending physician and Medi-Assist.
- Return of the vehicle: Well cover the cost of returning a your vehicle, either private or rental, by a commercial agency or by any person authorized by Medi-Assist to your residence or nearest appropriate vehicle rental agency, when you are is unable to return the vehicle due to Illness or accident.
- Return of the deceased: The plan pays up to $5,000 for the cost of preparation and transportation of the deceased person (excluding the cost of a coffin) to the place of residence, or up to $3,000 for the cost of cremation or burial at the place of death.
- Subsistence allowance: Covers up to $1,000 ($100 per day for a maximum of 10 days) for the cost of accommodation and meals in a commercial establishment, when a Covered person's return must be delayed due to Illness or bodily injury to himself or to an accompanying Member of the immediate family of the Covered person or Traveling companion.
Failure to contact Medi-Assist in the event of medical consultation or hospitalization following an accident or sudden Illness could result in refusal of the compensation requested.
Call us if an emergency strikes
Medi-Assist is our 24/7 medical travel assistance line that will help you locate medical care, provide advisory services, refer you to interpreters, assist with transportation, contact relatives and more. It means you can focus on getting healthy and leave it to us to manage your care while in an unfamiliar environment.