Improving health outcomes in BC
Community Grants and Partnerships
We are proud to support not-for-profit organizations across British Columbia striving to improve health and wellbeing among children, youth, individuals and families.
Annually, Pacific Blue Cross allocates an endowment to our Health Foundation to support programs that are making a difference in communities where we live, work and play. The 9-member Foundation Board meets four times a year to review grant applications from across the province. Board membership is a mix of Pacific Blue Cross employees and directors.
To be eligible for funding, your program should have a goal to improve health outcomes, and fit within one of the following categories:
Kick-start Projects Fund
This fund is intended for one-time projects, start-up programs, equipment or materials directly related to improving mental health and wellbeing, or preventing or managing chronic disease. Grants can be up to $10,000.
The Foundation chooses up to 4 new partnerships annually. Funding is up to $45,000 and spread over 3 years. A “partnership” is a project or program that can actively include Pacific Blue Cross (it is not simply multi-year funding).
Major Investment Projects
Occasionally, the Board considers larger multi-year initiatives, most often including capital campaigns. Funding is up to $100,000 and includes a multi-year agreement.
How to apply for funding
- Step 1: Make sure that your organization meets the funding criteria listed below.
- Step 2: Select the category that best fits your application
- Step 3: For Kick-start funding only, please apply using the online application form.
Keep in mind that the board meets only 4 times each year. If your project has a planned start date, make sure that you submit your proposal early.
You will be notified of the decision within a few weeks after the application deadline. Here are the current year’s submission deadlines:
- January 29, 2018
- April 3, 2018
- May 29, 2018
- November 6, 2018
If you are applying to the Partnership Program, submit your 2-page proposal no later than August 31. Successful applicants will be notified by September 30. You are encouraged to contact PBC to discuss your proposal before submitting the final proposal.
If you are applying in the Major Investment Projects category, please inquire directly to HealthFoundation@pac.bluecross.ca.
- Priority is given to programs working in the areas of chronic illness or mental health
- Priority is given to programs that are solution-oriented and can show measurable results
- You must be a registered not-for-profit organization
- Funds must be used in BC
- Your services must not discriminate by race, religion, creed, gender or sexual orientation
- Preference will be given to applicants that can provide audited financials
The following types of organizations are not eligible for funding:
- Religious or sectarian organizations
- Political organizations
- Competitive sports teams
- Contract fundraisers or lobbyists