skip to main content

Primary Blue

Affordable and accessible health coverage for everyone

As Canadians we take a lot of pride in our public health coverage, but most of us probably don't realize the government health plan doesn't provide all the coverage we might need.

Many British Columbians don't have an employer sponsored benefit plan, and seek out personal coverage to guard against unexpected medical costs. Some personal plans don't cover pre-existing medical conditions which can make purchasing coverage difficult.

Primary Blue does not require a medical questionnaire and guarantees you coverage. And with no deductible, Primary Blue is an affordable way to protect you and your loved ones from health costs not covered by the government health plan.

Primary Blue is a cost-effective choice for people who are:

  • Between jobs
  • Recent graduates
  • Wanting help minimizing out-of-pocket expenses
  • Having difficulty finding coverage due to existing medical conditions

Guaranteed protection from unexpected health costs

Primary Blue includes coverage for prescription drugs, registered therapists, dental care, out-of-province emergency medical protection, local ambulance, hospital accommodations and more.

The plan covers 80% of eligible expenses up to a lifetime maximum of $250,000 per covered person.

Plan Highlights:

  • Prescription Drugs: up to a maximum of $500 per year.
  • Bluenet Pay Direct Drug Card: Your pharmacist submits your claim electronically. PBC pays the pharmacy 80% of the prescription cost, and you pay the pharmacist the remaining 20%. There is no need to submit a paper claim.
  • Paramedical visits: Covers visits to massage therapists, physiotherapists, chiropractors, naturopaths, chiropodists, podiatrists, osteopaths, speech pathologists, psychologists, registered dieticians and acupuncturists.

    First 24 months 25-48 months 49 months+
    $300 per person.
    $25 per visit
    $400 per person.
    $25 per visit
    $500 per person.
    $25 per visit
  • Vision Care: Covers the cost of prescription lenses, frames, contact lenses and laser eye surgery up to $100 per person and $30 for Optometrist.
  • Hospital Accommodation: Covers the cost for a semi-private or private hospital room. (After 12 months on the plan.)
  • Local ambulance: Coverage for the cost of ambulance. Includes air ambulance and payment for Treat No Transport charges (when an ambulance is called but transport to hospital is not required).
  • Nursing care: Private duty nursing care in your home with a Registered Nurse, following the discharge of an acutely ill patient from hospital.

    First 24 months 25-48 months 49 months+
    $1,200 per person per year $2,500 per person per year $5,000 per person per year
  • Medical Services and Supplies: Covers items like casts, crutches, oxygen and oxygen supplies, wheelchairs, hearing aids blood pressure monitors and more.

    First 24 months 25-48 months 49 months+
    $1,200 per person per year $2,500 per person per year $5,000 per person per year
  • Travel Emergency Medical Care: Covers 100% of out-of-province within Canada medical emergency care.
  • Accidental dental: Up to $2,500 per person for accidental damage to natural teeth.
  • Accidental death and dismemberment: Principal sum up to $25,000 (under the age of 70).
  • Final expense benefit: Up to $3,000 for each covered person (after 24 months on the plan if death occurs naturally; immediate coverage for accidental death).
  • Survivor benefit: No contributions payable by the beneficiary for 12 months (benefit available for the first 12 months following the approval of the application)
  • Dental: Covers 80% to a maximum of $400 per person per year including diagnostic expenses, preventive and basic restorative treatments, periodontal cleaning and prosthodontic services.

Exceptional Service is included

With a Blue Cross health plan, you're covered by the world's most recognized and trusted health insurance brand. Our people are committed to delivering the Blue Cross service standard that is expected by our members.

We continually look for ways to improve service. Whether it's in person, on the phone or online self-service via CARESnet, our member self-service portal, we deliver service you can be proud of.

Blue Cross members have an advantage

The Blue Advantage® program allows Blue Cross members to save on medical, vision care and many other products and services offered by participating providers across Canada.

The program is unique because it provides savings at point of sale on the total cost of products and services from participating providers, regardless if the item is covered under your benefit plan. Simply present your Blue Cross identification card to the participating provider and mention the Blue Advantage program. Know more. Save more.

Blue Shield

Blue Shield is a registered trade-mark of Blue Cross Blue Shield Association
close