We want you to enjoy your trip...
You're going to relax, have a good time, unwind… but before you leave do the one
thing that could save you thousands or millions of dollars. Buy travel insurance.
It would be nice if you could guarantee good health and a safe trip, but in our
world today, we know life, and certainly travel, are not predictable. When we travel
in an unknown environment, we face risk from all angles. Don't stop exploring; just
protect yourself from the unexpected — our travel plans can help you do that.
Who do we cover?
You're eligible for travel coverage if:
- You are a resident of Canada
- You have coverage with the government health plan of your province or territory
- You are applying for coverage prior to departing
We provide travel coverage to people of any age. However, persons 61 and older may
be required to complete a Health Declaration form as part of their application.
If you're a visitor to Canada and want to apply for health coverage while in BC,
you may be eligible for our Visitors to Canada plan.
Pacific Blue Cross travel plans are known everywhere you want to go. Whether you're
looking for $5 million travel health coverage or a comprehensive package that includes
baggage and trip cancellation, single or multiple trips– we have a solution for
Get a Quote
What coverage is available?
Our basic travel plan covers costs related to emergency medical care resulting form
an accident or sudden illness. Additional coverage is also available for trip cancellation
or interruption, air flight accident, emergency return, as well as baggage loss,
delay or damage.
All of our plans include:
- 24/7 access to a team of professionals to connect you with local resources.
- Direct Pay—We will pay any providers directly.
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions—As long as your pre-existing condition
meets a minimum stability period you can receive full protection.
Basic Plan Coverage
Our base plan covers the following costs for emergency medical care to a maximum
of 5 million dollars:
- Emergency medical expenses: This includes any hospital fees (for a private
or semi-private room), nursing fees, drug costs, incidental hospital expenses (television,
parking etc), the cost of medical appliances (crutches, canes, wheelchairs), physician
and professional fees, diagnostic services (lab tests, xrays), and emergency dental
- Repatriation costs: In addition to paying for you to return to your province
or residence to receive immediate medical attention*, we will arrange to have your
vehicle returned, your pet returned and your baggage returned. Should an insured
person pass away, we cover the cost of repatriating the deceased.
- Medical Follow-up in Canada: We cover select treatment costs following repatriation.
- Ambulance and taxi fees: We will pay for the cost to transport a sick or
injured person to the nearest Hospital or accredited medical facility.
- Transportation to visit the covered person: We will cover the cost of round trip, economy class transportation for a family member or friend to visit a sick or injured person in hospital. We also cover the expenses of this visitor while he/she is staying close by up to $300 per day to a maximum of $1,200.
- Subsistence allowance: We will reimburse you up to $300/day to a maximum
of $3000 for accommodation, meals, essential phone calls and transportation by taxi
if your return is delayed due to illness or injury.
*Requires the authorization of the attending physician and CanAssistance.
Additional Coverage Options
You can add the following individual benefits to your plan or choose a package and
- Trip Cancellation or Interruption: We will reimburse your travel costs if
your trip is cancelled before the planned departure or interrupted after your trip
- Air Flight Accident: We insure you if you lose your life or the use of a
limb in an air flight accident.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment: We insure you if you lose your life or
the use of a limb in a non-air flight-related accident.
- Emergency Return: We will cover transportation expenses for you to return
home and possibly back to the holiday destination in the event of an emergency.
- Baggage loss, delay or damage: We provide payment to cover the cost of lost
baggage or the cost to purchase items while baggage is delayed.
This is not a policy. Actual terms and conditions are detailed in the policy issued
by Pacific Blue Cross upon approval of application. Our policy will detail plan
limitations and exclusions.
Call us if an emergency strikes
Medi-Assist is our 24/7 medical travel assistance line that will help you locate
medical care, provide advisory services, refer you to interpreters, assist with
transportation, contact relatives and more. It means you can focus on getting healthy
and leave it to us to manage your care while in an unfamiliar environment.
Get a Quote